- Graduated from the University of Tübingen / Germany in 1979. Graduate program at the University of Ann Arbor/ Michigan 1980/81 in Restorative Dentistry and Periodontology.
- 994 to 2000 Chairman of the Department for Periodontology and Conservative Dentistry at the University of Saarland, Homburg, Germany
- FDI: Chairman of the FDI Science Commission (1997 – 2003).
- 1997 to 2000 Head of the WHO-Centre for Standardization in Dentistry, University of Saarland. October 2000 to December 2003 Head of New Technologies, business unit of KaVo Co. Since January 2004 in private dental practice in Biberach / Germany and professor at the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Cologne.
- Since 2008 member of FDI Education Committee; 2010 until 2013 Chairman of FDI Education Committee.
Main fields of work:
- Epidemiology and prophylaxis of caries and periodontal diseases; therapy and diagnosis of caries with new restorative materials and methods; therapy (antibacterial, regenerative) of periodontal diseases.
- Published more than 100 articles in scientific journals, author of several chapters in dental textbooks.
- Lectures and continuing education courses in Prevention, Minimal Invasive Dentistry and Periodontology / Implantology.